Friday, September 16, 2011

Cutouts | Full & Partial

The following images were used to explore Selecting within Photoshop.

:: FULL CUTOUT ::










"The Serve" | 18 Jun 2011 | BYU-I
f/2.8 | 1/6400s | ISO 320 | 200mm | Canon 40D

To select the tennis player, I first used the quick select tool and roughly selected the subject. Next, I made the brush size small and touched up the selection, adding and removing wanted and unwanted pixels. Then, I "refined selection" by softening the edge and adding a slight feathering. Lastly, I added a blank, white layer and placed the selected tennis player above the white layer.

:: PARTIAL CUTOUT ::










"Peacock" | 18 Jun 2011 | Idaho Falls Zoo
f/2.8 | 1/200s | ISO 200 | 175mm | Canon 40D

In order to create this partial selection, I first selected the rectangle selection tool and made my selection. I then created a new layer and deleted any content in the selection, making it white. Next I made that layer not visible. Then, I proceeded to selecting the peacock with the quick selection tool. I refined the selection and saved it. I created a new layer with the partial peacock and placed it above the white, rectangle layer, which I later made visible once again to complete the edit. Oh ... and I cropped it a bit and did a curve adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment